It’s devastating to lose part of your family due to another person’s negligence, recklessness, or wrongdoing. Coping with such a loss can be one of the most strenuous times of your life. Hiring an attorney to file a wrongful death lawsuit may be the only way to get the closure and financial compensation your family is entitled to.
How Might a Wrongful Death Occur?
Wrongful death occurs when someone’s negligence or failure to act results in another person losing their life. Surviving family members can file a claim against the wrongdoer to hold them accountable. In most cases, this allows the family to recover monetary compensation.
The most important part of any wrongful death action is being able to show that a party was actually at fault. Here are some of the common types of wrongful death lawsuits:
- Medical malpractice: This covers anything involving negligence on the part of a medical professional, including:
- surgical errors;
- birth-related injuries;
- lack of informed consent;
- pharmaceutical errors; and
- defective medical devices.
- Car accidents: It’s possible to hold an automobile manufacturer responsible for a defective part in its vehicles. Drivers may also be responsible for speeding, recklessness, or other irresponsible driving.
- Trucking accidents: A trucking company may be held liable for any type of negligence or mechanical defects related to the trucks themselves. It can also be on the hook for an accident if its driver:
- violated rules or regulations while operating the truck;
- operated in an aggressive manner;
- operated in adverse weather conditions;
- operated unsafely with an overweight load; or
- operated while while intoxicated.
- Motorcycle accidents: These tragedies usually occur when a driver goes to change lanes without noticing the motorcyclist in their blind spot. If they’re lucky enough to survive, they might still be facing burns, broken bones, brain injury, and paralysis.
- Workplace accidents: Employers are responsible for making sure that their employees are safe while working. Wrongful death claims for the workplace might include manufacturing-related accidents, mesothelioma related to asbestos exposure, and deaths resulting from barge, tugboat, and railroad-related accidents.
How Do You Put a Price on a Human Life?
The emotional and financial injuries that a family faces after a wrongful death can’t be overstated. When determining the damages award in a wrongful death action, courts consider a variety of factors, including:
- the deceased’s income;
- the deceased’s saving;
- the degree to which survivors were financially dependent on the deceased; and
- expenses incurred by survivors for medical and funeral costs.
We understand that wrongful death lawsuits are sensitive matters, and we know that you need someone on your side. If you have a loved one that was killed due to someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing, call the Marc Lopez Law Firm today at 317-632-3642 for a free and confidential conversation. We’re here to make sure that you and your family get the compensation you deserve for the loss that you’ve suffered.